A Good Starting Point for Your Activities
Photo gallery: Sights worth seeing in our area
Explore the many wonders, adventures and spectacular natural beauty that will leave you wanting to come back year after year
Nanaimo is the second largest city on the eastern coast of Vancouver Island and is located along the Straits of Georgia. With one of the mildest and sunniest climates in Canada it makes a wonderful year round destination. Nanaimo is framed by stunning natural scenery from the shimmering ocean to the lush rainforest, to the magnificent mountain ranges and its 200+ of parks and protected green spaces.
Nanaimo comes framed by a 5km (3mile) harbourside walkway, perfect for exploring tidepools, sandy beaches, fishing piers and busy marinas. Dotted along the way you can come by hand crafted treasures and sample some of Nanaimo’s best restaurants and cafes. Observe the bustle and soak up the lively atmosphere of this working harbour set against a picturesque landscape and the prominent Mount Benson.
Nanaimo offers an eclectic mix of the old and the new, with a laid-back island lifestyle and home to culture, heritage, the arts, music and an array of entertainment hosting a year long calendar full of festivals and events.
Nanaimo is the 2nd largest city on the Island, centrally located on the Eastern coast (30 miles, 26.1 nautical miles) west of Vancouver.
- Nanaimo's offers one of the mildest and sunniest climates in Canada, making it a perfect year round destination.
- Nanaimo boasts over 200 beautiful parks & trails, including a number of lakes and beaches.
- Westwood Lake in Nanaimo is a fantastic swimming location and is staffed with lifeguards in the summer.
- Nanaimo has 3 artificial shipwreck reefs just outside the harbour and is noted as some of the best scuba diving in North America.
- Brannen Lake is a local hot spot for waterskiing & wakeboarding.
- North America's first legal bungee jumping bridge can be found above Nanaimo River at 44m (143ft) fall.
- Nanaimo is a golfer's paradise, available all year round with at least 19 courses within an hours drive.
- Nanaimo's Mount Benson summit is 914m (3,000ft) - not for the faint hearted, but definitely worth the climb. Escorted hikes available.
- Nanaimo is home to the Islands largest shopping centre the Woodgrove Centre.
- Nanaimo is home to 2 Aquatic Centres & Ice Arena.
- The Dinghy Dock Pub is Canada's only floating pub & family restaurant located in Nanaimo's harbour, where kids are supplied with their own poles & bait for its Fishin' Hole.
- Nanaimo is proud of its International renowned Vancouver Island University.